What’s your thyroid saying to you? – A Naturopathic Approach
The thyroid gland is found in the neck and acts like a master gland, sending out hormones that affect the metabolism. Thyroid disease most commonly affects women.Thyroid gland function may become unstable during times of stress. Natural medicine works harmoniously with the body’s vital energy to help balance thyroid function and nourish the thyroid glands.
Few of the common symptoms are:
- Constant weight gain
- Hair loss
- Fatigue/ Tiredness
- Menstrual problems
- Depression, anxiety And low mood
- Nervousness & tremor
- Aches & pains in muscles
- Changes in concentration/ sleep
Take small frequent meals to maintain metabolic rate, reduce carbohydrate (refined) consumption.
- Good sources of iodine include seafood (especially haddock, mackerel, and cod), sea vegetables (kelp, dulse, arame, hijiki, nori, wakame, kombu), iodized salt, vegetables (including spinach, garlic, watercress, and artichokes), egg yolks, pineapple and citrus fruits.
- Good sources of zinc include seafood (especially oysters), beef, oatmeal, chicken, liver, spinach, nuts, and seeds.
- Copper is found in liver and other organ meats, eggs, yeast, beans, nuts, and seeds.
- Best sources of the B vitamins are yeast, whole grains, and liver.
- The best source of selenium is Brazil nuts, especially those that are unshelled.
- Organically grown foods should be recommended due to their higher levels of trace minerals.
Goitrogens to be limited include Brassica family foods (turnips, cabbage, broccoli, rutabagas, mustard greens, radishes, horseradishes), cassava root, soybeans, peanuts, pine nuts, and millet. If eaten, these foods should be cooked to break down their goitrogenic constituents.
Exercise is particularly important. Exercise stimulates thyroid gland secretion and increases tissue sensitivity to thyroid hormone. Many of the health benefits of exercise may be a result of improved thyroid function.
The health benefits of exercise are especially important in overweight hypothyroid individuals who are dieting. A consistent effect of dieting is a decrease in the metabolic rate as the body strives to conserve fuel. Activities such as water sports, avoidance of overheated environments, and cold hydrotherapy can stimulate thyroid function.
Naturopathic approach targets the root cause of the symptom and works with your body’s vitality to maintain your total wellbeing.
For more Information on Individualised Naturopathic treatment approach feel free to contact
Priya – Naturopath & Nutritionist, Bayswater Health -0426866354