Back pain? Avoid sitting…it’s the new smoking!
If you have back pain and sit for most of the day, then we may just have found the source of your back pain. On Thursday October 5th, Chiropractor Dr Shaun Beovich from Bayswater Chiropractic Centre will be giving a free talk on ‘Sitting. The New Smoking’. The talk is free and forms part of the Evenings at Bayswater Health hosted by Bayswater Health, 625 Mountain Hwy in Bayswater.
Chiropractor Dr Shaun will be highlighting some of these studies:
- British Journal of Sports Medicine – sit for prolonged periods have a higher risk of disease than those who move a muscle every now and then, such as walking up the stairs to grab a cup of coffee.
- American Cancer Society – exercise nearly every day, health benefits undone if you spend the rest of your time sitting.
- University of Missouri – sitting shuts off the circulation of a fat-absorbing enzyme called lipase.
- American Journal of Epidemiology – sitting more than six hours a day, can make someone at least 18% more likely to die from diabetes, heart disease and obesity than those sitting less than three hours a day.
- Pennington Biomedical Research Center – 17,000 men and women over 13 years -people who sit for most of the day are 54% more likely to die of heart attacks.
He’ll also explain how sitting for prolonged periods is bad for your back and may lead to forward head posture, neck pain, headaches and low back pain. To finish with he’ll give some handy tips on how to combat the aches associated with prolonged sitting and alternatives to sitting like standing but more importantly MOVEMENT!